Friday, October 8, 2010

Beloved

So I am reading a book called "Beloved" for my post modern literature class. You might remember the release of a movie with the same name starring Oprah Winfrey...It was a movie I was never really interested in seeing because I was going through one of my phases when I didn't particularly think I cared for Oprah. Anyway, when I saw the book on the reading list I was a little disappointed because I remembered the movie got horrible reviews and I really wanted to read something that was not lame. NOW I am not recommending that anyone run out and purchase this novel, but I do have to say that the story is quite compelling and a quick run to the library to check it out might be recommended. I won't give you a full synopsis ( I am saving that for the paper I have to write in a few days), but I will tell you the basics. It is about an escaped slave. We all have heard about how horrible it was for slaves and I have always thought the whole idea was terrible of course, but reading this book really puts some of those things in a whole new light. Basically this slave woman has gone through some awful
things and

***spoiler alert***   
 in order to keep her children from having to return from slavery when she is about to be captures she attempts to kill all four of her children and actually succeeds in killing one of them. OK OK I know, why would I recommend such an atrocious book? Well I only recommend it if you are in the mood for something thought provoking and since I actually won't finish the book until probably Sunday then I recommend it cautiously. Since it is a post modern book there is a very very strong chance that the book won't have an ending that satisfies a need for happy endings. Another warning: The descriptions of life as a slave are incredibly graphic and are not recommended if you have a weak stomach.

Wow! After reading what I just wrote it doesn't seem like anyone would actually "want" to read the book. But it was on my mind and thus I rambled about it :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing about it. I find it interesting to hear about the books you read for your courses. I may not read them, but I find it VERY interesting. I think you should do more of these and if you wanted to I would love to read your thoughts on the books too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it Steph :) More book reviews coming up! :)

    ReplyDelete