Saturday, October 9, 2010

Postmodernism

So I am learning about Post Modernism right? Riiiiiight.... Ok The theory of Postmodernism is at best VERY VERY confusing. But I wanted to share the gist of what I learned in class on Wednesday. It has been brewing in my brain for a couple days now and I want to rattle on about it. The name Postmodernism gives is basically self explanatory...it is a movement that occurred/ is occuring AFTER Modernism... I don't really feel like explaining the whole history of  it, but basically there are a bunch of different eras literature and other medias of expression have gone through since basically forever and it  all affected what people did in order to express themselves in things like Literature and what not...it's kind of fascinating to me, but then again I am a LIT major lol. Anyway, I digress. Basically the whole movement is based on what some theorists (mostly French...go figure)  theorize about how we deal with becoming individual and creating the self ( how we put ourselves on the map so to speak)...haha I am laughing even as I type this because I am confusing myself. But these guys like Jameson, Lyotard, Baudrillard, and others who I can't remember at the moment all have an explanation and each explanation varies a bit. In fact they don't always agree with each other. BUT MY POINT IS that the whole idea of social networking, blogs, literature, art, and all other forms of expression are each different ways how we as individuals not only try and express ourselves, but how we try to be heard or to connect with one another.Connecting is a huge huge huge part of it. AND THEREFORE my blogging is part of how I as an individual am trying to put myself  "on the map" or trying to be heard and basically connect... And thus anyone who is reading my blog is a part of the post modern movement!  THE END

2 comments:

  1. agreed. I want to be "put on the map" with my blog.... so I understand and agree :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! And now because of you the map reaches all the way to Scotland! Boom baby :) The map is highlighted and everything. Thanks a bunch for moving to Scotland so no I am officially a world wide web-ber and or blogger haha

    ReplyDelete